The Resilient Rowing Competitive Group will be comprised of rowers and coxswains who are not quite ready to compete at an elite level. Athletes at this level should be looking to not only improve their fundamental rowing skills but also looking to represent the Occoquan at the local level. Members of this Group will train in both sweep and sculling boats with the goal of racing in multiple boat classes at each sprint regatta attended.
All athletes will be evaluated by at least two coaches based on a variety of factors including: 2K score, power to weight ratio, 10 stroke & 1 minute watt tests, overall fitness, technical aptitude, and boat moving ability. Following the Program Placement Period, a Competitive Group of up to a maximum of 32 rowers (16 boys & 16 girls) and coxswains will be selected to compete at the following three races this summer: Occoquan Memorial Sprints, Capital Sprints, and Philadelphia Youth Regatta.
Competitive Group: June 14th - Augs 12th, 2019
Summer Program Placement Period*
Weekly Practice Schedule (June 3rd - June 13th, 2019):
Monday to Friday - 4:30pm to 7:00pm
Saturday - 7:00am to 10:00am
*All rowers and coxes practice together through the end of FCPS school year to decide who is on the HP Group versus Comp Group.
Summer Racing Group Schedule
Weekly Practice Schedule (June 18 - July 22, 2018):
Competitive Boys and Girls Group:
Monday to Friday - 6:30 am to 9:30 am
Two-a-Day Practice (T/TR) - 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm
Saturday - 7:00 am to 10:00 am
2019 Capital Sprints Regatta (Anacostia, DC): July 6, 2019
2019 Occoquan Memorial Sprints (Fairfax Station, VA): July 7, 2019
2019 Philly Youth Regatta (Philadelphia, PA): July 20, 2019
COSTS & FEES:
Program Placement Period: $350.00
Summer Racing Period: $1200.00
Capital Sprints Regatta: Est. $125.00
Occoquan Memorial Sprints Regatta: Est. $125.00
Philadelphia Youth Regatta: Est. $350.00
( Uni-Suit, Sun Shirt, Tank Top, Hat )
**Plus all registration processing fees & credit card fees**
Registration Fees Include:
- 2 weeks on the water evaluations and tryouts
- 6 weeks on the water Sculling & Sweep Training ( 9 practices a week )
- 8:1 athlete to coach ratio with two a day practice.
- All Park fees
- Bonus two week Fall Jump-Start Program to prepare you for the fall season (a $350 value!)
- All Regatta Trips will be an additional cost to cover:
- All transportation, food, lodging, & entry fees associated with traveling to and from away regattas.
- Uniforms (if needed) are an additional cost.
- At least one season of racing experience is required for this program.
- The suggested personal best 2,000m erg score for Comp Team is as follows:
Girls: Sub 8:20 min
Boys: Sub 7:20 min